02 03 Pinewood Derby Stories and Photos from Maximum Velocity 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34
PINEWOOD DERBY MEMORY
Better Lucky than Good


This happened years ago when my son was still racing. He is an Eagle
scout now, and I am now enjoying pinewood derby racing with my grandson.

The second year my son raced his car, I had to work and was not able to
be at the race. He had come in 3rd Place at the race the previous year,
but came in 1st Place the second year. The top 4 finishers went to the
district race.

Before the district race, we spent what seemed like hours polishing,
lubing, aligning - everything we knew to do.

After the check-in at the district race, we were walking around looking
at some of the other cars. One of the boys in our pack had a car that
would not pass inspection. He had rounded the wheels. This was not
caught at the pack race - I'm sure that he didn't know that this was not
allowed. I told him that we had brought another set of wheels, and if
it was OK with the judges he was welcome to use them. We had not done
anything to these wheels, not even removed the mold marks. The boy added
some graphite, and then put them on the car.

Even though my son's car had beaten him at the pack event, this boy
placed 7th or 8th out of about 80 cars, well ahead of my son. That goes
to show that it's sometimes better to be lucky than good!

Kenny

From Pinewood Derby Times Volume 3, Issue 7

To subscribe to this free e-newsletter, please visit:
www.maximum-velocity.com/subscribe.htm

(C)2012, Maximum Velocity, Inc. All rights reserved.
www.maximum-velocity.com
35 36 37 38