02 03 Pinewood Derby Stories and Photos from Maximum Velocity 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34
PINEWOOD DERBY CAR SHOWCASE

Today's showcase cars are from Maynard Hinton.

Batmobile & Dick Dastardly - Samantha Hinton

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/nl/v12_i6_shcar2.jpg
My daughter Samantha's Batmobile took first in design and speed. The
next year her second car, Dick Dastardly, took first in design and
second in speed (by only 1 thousandth of a second).

Hershey Bar - Terie Hinton

Out of all the cars my wife Terie has made, the Hershey bar had the
best results. It took both second in speed and design in the adult
division at our Awana Grand Prix.

The Mythbuster - Maynard Hinton

I made this car from a design I saw at a derby car building class. I
went the next step further after watching MythBusters when they showed
how a golf ball would fly farther and faster because of the dimples
that are on the ball. So I used my Dremel tool to make dimples all
over the car to test that theory. Unfortunately, I had to shave the
inside of the fenders because they were rubbing on the rails. Long
story short, the car was pretty quick, but not as fast as I had hoped
because I got sawdust in the front axles from the late modification.

From Pinewood Derby Times Volume 12, Issue 6

Subscribe to this Free Pinewood Derby E-newsletter

(C)2012, Maximum Velocity, Inc. All rights reserved.

Maximum Velocity Pinewood Derby Car Plans and Supplies
35 36 37 38