02 03 Pinewood Derby Stories and Photos from Maximum Velocity 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34
PINEWOOD DERBY CAR SHOWCASE

Jet-Powered Batman Car - Charles Mott


I bought the propeller car kit from you guys; I didn't want it to be
obvious that it was powered, so I used a jet-powered Batman car as my
design inspiration. The plan was to build a body cover out of balsa
that I could slip over the propeller kit (which I modified). Knowing
this design wouldn't let enough air in, and keeping with the
inspiration of the car, I added some extra scoops to the side.
Assuming it wouldn't get too hot since it's a quick race, I removed
the heat sink from the motor for better airflow, then added an
"exhaust nozzle", and some other little accent pieces.

To my disappointment, our Pack didn't have an outlaw class race, but I
kept my design within the BSA rules for size and weight - with the
exception of the hidden power plant inside! So I raced it (unpowered)
in the sibling/parent class.I placed somewhere around 5th or 6th. Then
after all the racing was done, they let me do two runs with power.
First run (on a 35 foot aluminum Best Track) with the beautiful body
on was 2.11 seconds. Then I removed the body and it ran 1.77 seconds!

Propeller Car - Jeff Ryals

I used your Needle Axle X-Lite wheels on the Propeller Car Kit and
they worked out great. Our average speed was 329.4 average, up from
316.8 last year. Now I need to figure out how to get more speed for
next year.

From Pinewood Derby Times Volume 13, Issue 12

Subscribe to this Free Pinewood Derby E-newsletter

(C)2014, Maximum Velocity, Inc. All rights reserved.

Maximum Velocity Pinewood Derby Car Plans and Supplies
35 36 37 38