02 03 Pinewood Derby Stories and Photos from Maximum Velocity 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34
PINEWOOD DERBY CAR SHOWCASE

Chima Eagle - Tony Jochman

This is the car that my son and I built for the PineCar Derby last year. He wanted a car that looked like the Lego Chima eagle tribes motorcycle set he had gotten for his birthday. Well this was definitely a challenge, but we did end up tracing parts from his Lego set which helped a lot. After he got done painting, even I was amazed at how it turned out. He got 3rd place in speed (and 1st in craft) at the train level, then 4th place for speed at the district level. Now he is ready to go for gold this year (pictures to come). Thank You Maximum Velocity for all your help.

Awana Express - Ken Temple


I have a couple of cars I would like to show-off. These are cars that I built two years in a row. I wanted to have my wife and kids make a set of four train cars as a family project, but sadly no one wanted to be the coal car. One is a locomotive, the other is a caboose. The center wheels on the locomotive are stationary, narrowed, and flattened so there is no possibility of contact. The smoke stack is a .44 Mag hand gun casing with a bell on top. For special effects, I put some dry ice in the stack after the race. The hand rails and smoke stack on the caboose are brass tubing that I bent and soldered. The steps are zinc weights painted black. And the wheels are actually sanded down to have an inner lip like a real train wheel and painted with a silver marker. Thank you again for all your help over the years.

BSA Big Rig - Eric Werner

First up is the simplest, the 2010 BSA Big Rig. I was given this as a gift a few years ago, and finally got around to putting it together. It was pretty easy to put together, and served it's function well. We used the cab as our opening "pace car", since the track our pack uses couldn't accommodate the trailer and cab at the same time. Plus, the truck served another function, which I will reveal in a moment...

From Pinewood Derby Times Volume 14, Issue 13

Subscribe to this Free Pinewood Derby E-newsletter

(C)2015, Maximum Velocity, Inc. All rights reserved.

Maximum Velocity Pinewood Derby Car Plans and Supplies
35 36 37 38