02 03 Pinewood Derby Stories and Photos from Maximum Velocity 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34
PINEWOOD DERBY CAR SHOWCASE

iPod Jeep - Jeff Jouett


This was my oldest son Jack's final Pinewood Derby and he wanted something different. The result is the red car. It did play, though not loud enough unless you were right next to it.

Darth Vader - Dan Blythe

Attached is our Darth Vader car my seven year old and I created. I have experimented over the years with paint and making my own decals using pictures off of the Internet, magazines, etc. I give them some special backgrounds and highlights on the computer and then print them on adhesive backed label paper.

The boys pick out the theme, help with the painting, and pick from a variety of decals and where they want them placed on the car. I put it all together with them and teach them some speed tricks along the way.

Music on Wheels - Bruce Edney


My eight year old granddaughter inspired me when she asked me to make a "guitar" pinewood derby car. She sketched a concept and I designed the car based on my old Martin Ukulele that I had on my shelf since high school. The car's Ukulele is a one-third scale model using Myrtlewood and Purpleheart. The strings are mono-filament fish leader. The frets and tuning knobs are brass rod. I finished off the design with piano music copied from a music book and glued to the car body. She named the car, appropriately, "Music on Wheels". The car won first place in the "Show" class at WIRL in November 2008.

From Pinewood Derby Times Volume 9, Issue 2

Subscribe to this Free Pinewood Derby E-newsletter

(C)2015, Maximum Velocity, Inc. All rights reserved.

Maximum Velocity Pinewood Derby Car Plans and Supplies
35 36 37 38